Sunday 20 May 2012

Designer Spotlight: Edenborough Evans



I discovered Edenborough Evans a few weeks before MBFWA when I was trying to figure out what showrooms I wanted to check out. When I saw their extremely affordable gold and sterling silver pieces I was sold! I loved the organic and abstract shapes... It kind of reminded me of a skeleton.

When I met the girls (sisters, Anna and Kate.. Anna is the designer, Kate is the business manager) at MBFWA, I was not only impressed by the collection, but fell in love for their passion for Australian fashion.
Each piece is full of detail, and it's all so well-made (I'm all about quality!) There's nothing super extravagant about the pieces, they're simply chic and I love that! You can wear them all day every day, or for special occasions. I can't wait to get my greasy little mits on the Orchard ring in gold! (above)

Anna took time out to have a quick chat to me about her style, how Edenborough Evans got started and what's to come... Make sure you check it out below!

How would you describe your personal style?
I guess you could say that my style is eclectic not in the ‘outrageous’ sense but in the way I change styles depending on the occasion and my mood. One day I will be in simple structured outfit and the next I will be in a floaty floral frock. I love to dress up for an occasion however I also love days where I get to be casual.

Where are your favourite places to shop in Australia? 
I love to shop in the city in Melbourne. There are so many amazing hidden boutiques. I also love High St Armadale, the shops in this area are beautiful.

What piece/s of jewellery do you wear everyday?
I guess the best thing about being a jewellery designer is that you can change what pieces you wear each day! It depends on the occasion and what works with the outfit I am wearing. Having said that my staple is an array of rings.

What was your inspiration for this collection?
This collection is an exploration of form. The process in which I work is very organic. I work with wax to create 3 dimensional pieces.  Experimentation and trial and error come into play. It takes weeks often months before I am happy with a collection.

How do you come up with inspiration for your collections?
I am not just inspired by one thing; Inspiration is drawn from art, places, structures, objects and experiences. The inspiration for the designs began from my time spent in Prato, Italy. I was originally inspired by old fashioned wax stamp seals. I find the movement of melting wax and the patterns the drips create really fascinating. The wax concept and material is explored and developed throughout collections.

What is your favourite piece from the collection? Why?
I absolutely LOVE the clover necklace in gold. This piece is such an amazing statement and I think the gold really ‘pops’. It gives a simple black dress an amazing lift.

What do you expect to be some of the biggest trends this SS13?
I feel with the current economic situation people will be looking to create statements with accessories. investment pieces

What is your favourite thing about Fashion Week in Sydney?
This is our first fashion week in Sydney. The atmosphere and creativity are overwhelming.

What inspired you to start Edenborough Evans?
Growing up I never thought about jewellery designing as a career. I always loved hands on things and design creativity. I studied visual arts at Monash University and did a major in metals and jewellery. I fell in love with the designing and making processes the minute I stepped in the studio. I was fortunate enough to finish my degree in Prato, Italy, where I worked with a jeweller. It was such an amazing experience and it was here that the first Edenbourgh Evans collection was born.

What has been your most exciting/favourite memory since your launch?
Our collection was recently picked up by Harrods. It is amazing to be showcasing in such an iconic department store.
Where do you see Edenborough Evans in 5 years?
I envisage that we will be available in more places around the world. A new product line may be introduced; we may design other items along side the jewellery.

Be sure to check out their website at edenboroughevans.com

No comments:

Post a Comment