Saturday 26 May 2012

Designer Spotlight: Batson



Two weeks ago I had the amazing pleasure of attending a press showing at the PR Department. The PR Department is a newly established Sydney-based PR company that represents an array of formidable emerging designers, including Batson. Batson is a Brisbane-based label, headed up by designer, Bianca, who's heading to Central Saint Martins in a week, and has previously studied at Queensland University of Technology. Bianca has really taken digital prints to the next level with her SS12/13 collection with prints used within the collection derived by photographs she took whilst in Europe. This collection uses sorbet shades to convey a ladylike appeal with an underlying virile quality. 

The Fashion Patriot managed to catch Bianca before she heads off to the UK to chat about Batson, SS13 trends and her style crush!

How would you describe your personal style?
My friends tease me all the time in saying that my signature silhouette is a triangle- so i guess THE TRIANGLE SILHOUETTE, slightly androgynous with a feminine undertone,"BATSON" really. 

Where are your favourite places to shop in Australia? 
 Alice Euphemia in Melbourne
ACNE in Sydney
Blonde Venus in Brisbane
 
Who is your style crush?
My style crush is Elin Kling – the perfect combination of raw, minimalist and bang on trend!


What is something that you cannot live without?
Looking to the foreseeable future with a positive outlook

What was your inspiration for this collection?
This collection stemmed from a visit to a housing commission in Poplar, an east-end suburb of London. It was inspired by the geometric lines that were offset by the clothing hanging from the various windows. It was very much based on the idea of comparing androgyny and femininity, and the prints were a collection of photographs taken from my travels to Budapest and Milan by a VOGUE Italia photographer.

How do you come up with inspiration for your collections?
My collections are literally a representation of personal experiences and research (of areas etc) that has stemmed from them. 



Who is the woman you design for?
The BATSON woman isn't any one type, she is  hard to define. It's  a mindset, a women who likes to wear a dash of colour and prefers minimal silhouettes with a slight androgynous hint. 

In 5 words, describe the Batson aesthetic.
Triangle, minimal, print, pistachio mint (I'm obsessed at the moment), young at heart.

What is your favourite piece from the collection? Why?
My favourite piece is the Robin Hood Smock Dress which was the first piece ever created in this collection and was the basis for the rest of the range. Next to that I would have to say the Oktogon Dress - I LOVE pistachio and turtle necks at the moment!


What is your favourite trend for SS13?
Mint and sorbet hues broken up with vibrant punches of electric colour. I love these tones and interpreted them throughout this collection.

What inspired you to start Batson?
I just wanted a way to share my love for design. I really enjoy the whole process and it's great to see a product translated from the initial sketch to hanging in a boutique and then being worn by it's owner. It is all very rewarding. 

What has been your most exciting/favourite memory since your launch?
I was just featured in GRAZIA France - they even put a headshot of me in there, next to Michael Van Der Ham! 



I hear you're off to Central Saint Martins soon, how long will you be gone for and what are you studying? 
Well I'm relocating hopefully permanently to London in just 10 days! The course is three years and I will be studying a BA Honours Fashion in Womenswear. 

Do you think it is important to study before attempting to start your own label?
Not necessarily, for me personally studying the subject has forced me to push myself design wise and construction wise. When the Central Saint Martins opportunity came up, I could not say no. Im really looking forward to going back to the basics in some ways and being thrown into such a competitive environment, I think it will really help develop my skills and further expand BATSON. 

Where do you see Batson in 5 years?
My aim is to stay in London for a few years at least and further expand into the European Market with BATSON over the next 5 years.  Following that, a showroom at London fashion week perhaps!

No comments:

Post a Comment