Tuesday 19 June 2012

Designer Spotlight: Kirsty Irwin

Today, The Fashion Patriot is bringing you an EXCLUSIVE first-look at Kirsty Irwin's SS12/12 collection!

 

We are so excited to show you the amazing SS12/13 collection from Kirsty Irwin (formally known as Laksmono). This Spring/Summer collection is Kirsty's debut summer range, which monochromatic palette is juxtaposed with pops of lime green. The collection plays with the idea of hard vs. soft with delicate, feminine fabrics and cuts being paired with super lush leather pieces, which are as soft as butter!

I absolutely adore this collection - each piece is has so much thought and detail put into it, yet is totally wearable.

I cannot wait to get my grubby mits on a pair of the lime leather shorts!!!


The Fashion Patriot sat down with the super talented, Kirsty to find out about her inspirations, aspirations and her summer must-have! Read the full interview and check out her entire SS12/13 collection below!


How would you describe your personal style?
I would say my personal style generally has the same aesthetic as the label. I always have to be comfortable in my clothes and I will never shy away from a good band tee.

Where are your favourite shopping destinations?
Honestly I hardly get the time so it is mostly online but when I go to Melbourne I always have to have a day on Brunswick Street
 
Who is your style crush?
Alison Mosshart is a definite favourite!


What can't you live without in summer?
Ice-cream!!!

What inspired you to start Kirsty Irwin?
Ever since I was a little girl I would always draw my own designs. Now I make those designs a reality! 
I just got to the point where I was like "if I'm not spending my time and money on something I love, it would all just be going to waste"

Your use of leather has become your signature, what is it about leather that you love?
I am a massive leather lover! I love its structure and versatility... It defines what my label is all about, polished grunge!

What is the most rewarding thing about having your own label?
CLOTHES! Its honestly fantastic having a constant turn around of new clothes that you love. It's great watching my ideas materialise!

What has been your proudest moment since your launch?
Truthfully, getting recognition from friends and family is the best feeling in the world! 

Who is the woman you design for?
She is easy going, comfortable and confident; likes to be classy with a bit of a rebellious edge

 
In 5 words, describe the Kirsty Irwin aesthetic.
Edgy, refined grunge, easy-to-wear (one word?), comfort

What was your inspiration for your SS12/13 collection?
The inspiration derived from the idea of being on holiday and having a suitcase full of easy-to-wear yet eye-catching pieces. The location for the look book was perfect because we had a resort feel but with the city in the background. Holiday meets street wear!

How do you find inspiration for your collections? 
It can come from anywhere. However I do absorb a lot of enthusiasm for my designs through music


What is your favourite piece from the collection? Why?
That's a hard one! Probably the Street Lover Dress... I've basically lived in the sample with either combat boots or chunky heels. It's easy to wear and the perfect outfit to take from day to night.

What is your favourite trend for SS12/13?
I am loving all the splits! I think fashion is at it's best when women can show an elegant bit of leg

Where do you see the label in 5 years?
Hopefully we will be in closets everywhere and have a Kirsty Irwin concept store


To find out more about Kirsty Irwin head over to her Facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment