Thursday 25 August 2011

MBFF: Fashion Week Review


Last night I had the pleasure of attending Mercedes-Benz Fashion Festival, and I got to check out the Fashion Week Review show which was absolutely incredible! It was literally the "best of" Australian Fashion Week that was held in May. The show featured Aussie talents like, camilla & marc, Alex Perry, Dion Lee, Josh Goot, Marnie Skillings, Rachel Gilbert, Yeojin Bae, Kooey, Alice McCall, Shakuhachi and Manning Cartell ... Just to name a few.


I was really feeling the vibe with this season's collections. I am obsessed with how each collection plays with colour differently. Some collections are basically all black and white then throw in a splash of unexpected colour to really create something fun and interesting, then some collections are entirely colour blocked; which I love! Then there are those collections that have really manipulated and constructed such amazing pieces based on very neutral and natural hues. I am seriously obsessed with colour, or lack thereof colour, and I am loving that designers are really experimenting with different shades and textures to create pieces that are inspiring and exciting!

Please forgive the quality of these photos... I'm in the middle of moving house, and stupidly packed my camera before the show, so was only left with my iPhone :( 


The show opened with the wonderful Dion Lee, and followed by camilla & marc. My favourite look from that collection was this short sleeve blue/green dress - I seriously die for colour-blocking at the moment, especially in the summer, it can be so fun and fresh! 



Admittedly, I haven't seen much of Gary Bigeni's stuff in the past, but I really enjoyed his collection. The bright colours and flattering cuts was titillating! 


The 2 red looks from Christopher Esber were so hot, I think I dribbled a little. You can do no wrong when you wear red!


I really loved Kooey... I thought the use of Aboriginal prints on the swimwear was really fun and unique, and the cuts were super flattering, so really all the necessary criteria for the perfect swimwear was covered in this collection. 



Speedo made a fleeting appearance during the show... with 5 buff models, wearing only black speedos and a mask cycling around the catwalk on bikes - it was cute. 


Josh Goot played with silhouettes and proportion, and it was perfection. He was also the first out of the designers to use my new favourite colour for spring/summer - cobalt blue. 




Shakuhachi was cute as always, with loads of beads, sequins and colour blocking prevalent throughout the entire collection. 




I found Arnsdorf a little matronly... but this hot pink dress was seriously AMAZEBALLS! 


This black and gold galactic princess bikini, with high waisted bottoms by Lisa Blue, is literally all I need for this summer. Seeing it come down the runway, changed my life. 


Little Joe Woman had me salivating over this cut-out suede skirt... I just gotta have it!


I am obsessed with this Manning Cartell collection. The neutral tones, mixed with black and white stripes, with splashes of colour and statement gold accessories, was killer!






Now... I don't have many words for this dress, except, breathtaking. Lisa Ho really outdid herself with this one. How ridiculously gorgeous does this model look in this colour and this dress? Oh my god, I died when this made its way down the catwalk. Wow. 


I wore Yeojin Bae to the show last night, I love her stuff. It's always so flirty and feminine. Her collection last night was no different. This red dress is beautiful in everyway; the colour, the structure and fit. It may have been my favourite look of the night. However, the model was walking way too fast, and hence why the only photo I have of it, is from the back :(


Bowie - just, wow! Incredible. I was literally speechless when these avant-garde gowns paraded down the catwalk. He killed it... as per usual. 





Last, but certainly not least, Alex Perry. You cannot fault his tailoring. This collection was expensive with an oriental flare. Very luxe. 




P.S. A huge thanks to Em from IMG for the tickets last night - it was truly an amazing evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment